Thursday, July 3, 2008

Comes with a Built in Bra

My husband doesn't shop with me much, so he rarely witnesses my shopping meltdowns. Last night was an eye-opener for him. We decided to run a few errands after dinner. Yes, this was what we decided to do on our date night.

The girls needed bathing suit cover-ups. If you lived in the Chicago area, you would know that even though it's not yet July 4, it's nearly too late to find bathing suits and accessories in the stores. In a few weeks winter coats will be available, so there is a bit of a time crunch if you want to find bathing suit cover-ups.

Last year we bought them at Old Navy, so we went back there last night. The store clerk smiled as she told us they were all sold out. So, we started looking at dresses the girls might use for as bathing suit cover-ups.

We found an adorable purple dress for the brunette twin. It was perfect. I nearly started shaking when I read the label which said, "Comes with a built in bra for extra support." He just shook his head like he couldn't believe it. She's FOUR. She doesn't need extra support.

I carried the adorable dress around for a bit and then put it back. I told my husband I just couldn't buy her a dress with a built in bra. First, it was just wrong that clothes for girls so young even had built in bras. Second, if we bought the brunette twin the dress, the blond twin would be upset that she didn't have a dress with a bra. Third, the girls are already obsessed with bras because they want to be like me and the older cousins. I didn't see any reason to encourage this. He looked at me like I was a bit crazy, but I didn't want to push the limits of what's acceptable for four-year-old girls. In my mind, built in bras are not an acceptable accessory for a dress designed for little girls.

3 comments:

tashabud said...

I agree Shari. What were the designers thinking when they designed them? Didn't they at least do some research first? That's appalling! Well, I hope you can find her something more appropriate for her age in the big city of Chicago. Good Luck.

cindy w said...

I'm confused. "For extra support"? To support WHAT exactly?? Good grief, they're nearly a decade away from puberty, and they're trying to market bras to them already??

My little girl just started wearing 2T. I guess I have this to look forward to in my not-so-distant future. Great.

Nicki said...

Thats crazy... why would they put a built-in-bra in a little kid's dress? I'm sure many little girls wish they could start wearing bras so they could be like their moms or big sisters or older cousins or Hannah Montana or whoever... but that doesn't mean they should be GIVEN bras at age four! Dang!