Monday, June 23, 2008

Rhinoceros Tap

Sometimes the girls have to grow a bit before they truly appreciate some new music or a new book. This is what happened with three CD/book sets I bought as part of the Kohl's Cares for Kids program.

We LOVE the Sandra Boynton books. When I saw that Kohl's had three of her books with CDs for their charity program, I snapped them up. The girls' reaction was indifference. I was crushed because I LOVED them.

The words are witty; the music fun. The performers would be great on an adult CD, let alone a children's CD -- Kevin Kline, Laura Linney, Patti LuPone, The Bacon Brothers, Meryl Streep, Michael Ford, Spin Doctors, Blues Traveler, Steve Lawrence and Edyie Gorme, Hootie & The Blowfish, John Ondrasik. Who else but Sandra Boynton could pull together a cast like that to sing songs about throwing a tantrum, eating peas, needing a nap, cheese, tickle time, dinosaur blues, and cows?

So, I waited. A few months ago I brought the CDs back out and put them in the mini-van. Now the girls LOVE the songs. They sing all the words, laugh a lot, and point out when the "children" in the songs are being bad.

The three we have are called "Dog Train," "Rhinoceros Tap," and "Philadelphia Chickens." As the girls would say, "When we were three we didn't like these. Now that we're four, we do."

No comments: