Sunday, June 1, 2008

Eternal Optimist

My husband is an eternal optimist. You might not know this just by talking with him. He's pretty quiet most of the time. Yet, every Sunday morning about 9:00 a.m., I am reminded of his optimistic nature. You see he sets the alarm clock for 9:00 a.m.

We have four-year-old twins. We haven't slept until 9:00 a.m. since they came into the house. Seriously, these two wake up about 6:30 a.m. EVERY day. On ocassion they will sleep until 6:45 a.m. or 7:00 a.m. You know what we do then? We wait in anticipation of them crawling into bed with us. Now, there are plenty of things we could be doing with that time, but we don't. We just wait.

The girls are like our own private alarm clocks. They always wake up about the same time. Don't tell me to keep them up later or do more to wear them out. It doesn't matter how late they stay up. They always wake up at the same time. And, if they stay up too late the night before, they are crabby and tired the next day.

Friends and family make comments about what we need to do to get them to sleep later. I've given up on the idea. -- not my wonderful, optimistic husband. He still sets the alarm clock for 9:00 a.m.

4 comments:

Julie K said...

My little alarm clock gets up between 6:30 and 6:45am on any day I could sleep in (that's Saturday and Sunday), though VERY rarely he will sleep in until 7:30 or 8am. On those all to rare occasions, it's our other three alarm clocks (the dogs) that are jumping around at 6:30am. My son, though, is now the age that he can let the dogs out and play or watch tv downstairs... I've actually been known to get another hour of snoozing!

tashabud said...

Shari, better optimistic than pessimistic. Can you tell I'm saying it in a sing-song tone? Lol. Once those twins start school, they will not want to wake up that early anymore. I don't know why, but it's just is. Have a great week.

Beth said...

My daughter is like that- no matter how late she goes to bed, she pretty much always wakes up at the same time. She'll just be super cranky in the morning!

jenn3 said...

I guess I'm truely blessed. I put my toddler to bed between 7 and 8pm every night, and I have to wake her up for daycare around 7:30am. On the weekends, if I'm really lucky, she'll sometimes sleep until 9am. (I guess this is only fair since she didn't sleep through the night for the first year.) Your husband setting the alarm cracks me up.