Saturday, March 15, 2008

Stuck in My Head

We went to see Jersey Boys last week. It might just be the perfect musical. There is great music, and the whole audience sings because everyone knows the songs. It's an interesting story -- with enough swearing to make the Soprano's proud. It's not sweet and sappy like some musicals, nor is it deep and meaningful. The simple set lets the music and the story shine through. It's just plain fun.

The problem is I cannot get those songs out of my head. It's an improvement over the usual kids music that plays in my head, but it drives me crazy. I cannot remember all the words, so I have these blank places where the music doesn't have words, but that la-de-da sound where the words should be. So I broke down and bought the Frankie Valli and the Four Seasons Greatest Hits CD.

The girls went crazy the first time I played it because the first song is "Sherry." They yelled, "Mom, you're in a song." We all sang and laughed. (Really, when your name is Shari, you have to make peace with the song. You don't have to love it, but you do have to develop a sense of humor about it.) Now we have all the words to all the songs.

After listening to the real singers, I have to say, the four actors who played the group were really, really good. I think the man who sings the Frankie Valli parts must sit with a cup of tea and honey during the day so that he can hit those high notes every night.

The good news is the songs aren't just in my head anymore. Today the blond twin started singing Sherry while we were in the van. Everyone in the house sings them now, so I don't feel alone anymore.

2 comments:

Julie K said...

I think there have been more Sherry/Shari songs than Julie songs and they have certainly been more widely known, but I had to make peace with Bobby Sherman’s “Julie, Julie, Julie do you love me?” when I was a kid… now considered so obscure that I rarely, if ever, get serenaded with the refrain. People will periodically still say my name in triplicate…. “Julie, Julie, Julie” to which I kindly remind them that Cary Grant’s alleged line was “Judy, Judy, Judy” (though it’s not been attributed to an actual movie line). Alas, when your name is regaled in song… you’re destined to hear it. Though I recall sending a Neil Sedaka tape that I found by chance to a friend named Carol because she had never heard “Oh Carol”… how lucky was she? Wasn’t a surprise, though ,since “Oh Carol” was released before either of us was born.

Michelle Hix said...

Of course I've lived with "Michelle Ma Belle"...but I never get tired of hearing it. The first time I heard it I was in elementary school at a musical and one of the actors came off stage and asked me my name. When I told him, he sang it to me in front of everyone. I thought he made the song up! ha ha