Sunday, January 20, 2008

20 Below

We stood at the kitchen window today trying to decide if the neighbor's house was on fire. The wind chill is about -20 (aka 20 degrees below zero). It is cold. The steam coming from their furnace, against the morning sun, took on an orange color -- add to that the constant stream of steam and it looked like the house was on fire. This is the second day of a nasty cold spell.

What did we do with four-year-old twins to keep them busy yesterday during this brutal cold weather? We went out, of course. We went to look at new sinks, had lunch, and bought ice skates. We put on multiple layers, warm winter boots, and headed out. Our mini-van had a full tank of gas, and we had a fully-charged cell phone in case of an emergency.

Hey, we live here. It's cold, there's no doubt about it, but it's not like we don't get this kind of cold spell every winter. We do live in Chicago, after all.

4 comments:

selfmademom said...

Exactly! You can't hide in the car just because it's freezing out...

Kelleigh said...

I cannot even begin to comprehend weather that cold. Did you ever see the film 'Snow Bound'? About the miracle of the Stolpa family's survival when caught in the snow? Very edge-of-your-seat suspenseful to people from hot climates!

Good to hear you were about to get out and about!

Kelleigh

Mississippi Songbird said...

It's 20 degrees here too.. Make sure you keep warm.. I have to admit, I will be happy to see Springtime..I'm not much for the cold weather..
Have a great week.

Kathleen Mortensen said...

Sounds like the same kind of weather we're experiencing here in Southern Ontario. Brrrrr!!!I'm so proud of myself; I actually shovelled the whole driveway and that's not something I usually do. I prefer to leave those tasks to my husband.
Stop by Poetikat's and see what's new.
Kat