Saturday, December 8, 2007

Puppet Bike Theater

Yesterday my Mom and I took the girls downtown to see the Christmas decorations. We were wandering through the German Market at Daley Plaza when we found the Puppet Bike Theater. It's one of those things you have to see to believe, so I found a YouTube video of the show. It's so funny! You just stare at these hand puppets. I kept thinking, "Now I've seen everything." I couldn't stop watching, though.

On the one hand, it's really so simply -- one person, two hand puppets, some music. On the other hand, it's really stupid -- one person, two hand puppets, some music. Yet, the crowd LOVED it. Really. You cannot imagine the laughter and smiles. Everyone cheered like it was a rock concert. The kids couldn't get enough of it.

The performer just parked his or her bike at the corner of Daley Plaza. The kitties collected dollar bills like water. Kids went up to the little door near the bottom of the stage to give a dollar. The kitties danced with the dollar before it disappeared behind the curtain.

Nearby several Chicago Police officers watched the crowd, but never stopped the show. The girls still talk about the puppets. Today they used their stuffed animals to put on their own show. No one gave them dollar bills, though.

2 comments:

Jason said...

That's one of the coolest things I've read in a while

Anonymous said...

The puppets have tons of personality, and they work hard, too! I give them my lunch money whenever I am lucky enough to see them.