Monday, December 3, 2007

Dadditude

One great thing about this blog is I get to meet people I would not ordinarily have a chance to meet. A great example is Phil Lerman. He wrote a book called "Dadditude: How A Real Man Became A Real Dad." While I haven't read the book yet, I did invite him to be a guest blogger.

Just from our email exchanges, I know we are on the same page about a few important parenting points. First and, perhaps, most importantly, Dads are not idiots. Despite the way TV portrays Dads as bumbling incompetents, Dads are actually quite capable.

I know women who brag about things like their husbands never changing a diaper or giving the baby a bottle. Another woman I know hires a babysitter if she leaves her husband at home with the children. She claims he cannot "handle" their two kids. Huh?

Maybe it's just our circle of friends, but the Dads I know are very involved and competent. We all think of parenting as a team sport. My husband is wonderful, as I tell everyone who comes near me. If he wasn't so involved from the day our girls were born, I'd be dead. It's that simple. There is no way I could have handled all the diaper changes, feedings, doctor's visits, etc. for twins during the first two years. It never occurred to me that he would not be capable of changing a diaper. Even now he's as involved as I am. In our house it's not optional.

Phil is going to write guest posts on the topic of Dads. I hope you'll all welcome him and comment at will.

No comments: