Saturday, December 1, 2007

Christmas Surprise

My husband's Christmas present arrived today and he couldn't be happier. Of course, he wasn't supposed to see it before December 25, but as we pulled in the driveway this morning, there was no way to miss it. A tall, cardboard box was propped against our front door -- no mistaking it for anything other than the golf club he wanted.

He wasn't subtle about it. He handed me a newspaper insert and said, "I want this golf club." So I ordered it right away to make sure it arrived in time. I even consulted our family's best golfer, our high school nephew, to make sure I ordered the correct club.

Still, I was hoping to keep it a secret. Mom and I had a plan to hide it at her house. I checked the deliveries every day to make sure it wasn't at the front door when he came home. Where I screwed up was with the delivery method. I thought it was coming via UPS. Since UPS doesn't deliver on Saturdays, a weekend delivery was not a concern. It came via USPS. The good old U.S. Postal Service. UPS, USPS so close -- and yet so far from a true Christmas surprise.

1 comment:

Julie K said...

Perhaps you should have had it delivered to your Mom's house to begin with? A thought for next year...