Sunday, November 25, 2007

Food Policy

We have a new food policy in our house. I instituted it today after another grueling meal with the brunette twin. She sat at the table making faces, whining, and generally trying not to eat her dinner. She kept asking "can I be done now?" After a few times, I screamed, "YES, YOU ARE DONE." I dragged her from the table and put her on time out on the couch. Then I took her mashed potatoes and cheese bowl away from the table. Now she's crying, "I'm hungry. I want to eat more." I said, "No. You want to be done. You are done."

The new policy is when you ask if you can be done, you are done. You must leave the table and I throw away your food. Hungry? Not my problem. I am soooooo completely tired of the food fight with the brunette twin. She eats something one night, but not the next time I serve it. We sit in a restaurant begging her to eat macaroni and cheese because she doesn't like the noodles. We don't ask her to eat liver and onions. This is basic toddler food. From now on if she doesn't want to eat, she doesn't have to. I'm tired of fighting with her. If she'd rather be hungry than eat a certain kind of noodle in her macaroni and cheese, so be it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

my mother had a similar equally effective food policy. If you did not want to finish your dinner she would wrap what you did not eat in saran wrap on your plate (this predates the microwave) Next time you got hungry, THAT was what you ate. There were allowances for goofy mealtimes (like you didn't have to eat the leftover broccoli for breakfast) but if you got hungry later that day or night then you still got the same food only cold and congealed. And it would wait overnight so that the next time you wanted a snack....

My brother and I thought it was brilliant. We both agree as adults it was totally fair. Zero resentment. We plan to use it on our kids.

Julie K said...

My Mom wasn't as strict, but if you didn't want to eat what was in front of you, then you could have Peanut Butter & Jelly (that was the only alternative). I ended up eating a lot of PB&J because my Mom would end up serving something I couldn't eat due to allergies (I have to eat a pretty bland diet - no spices) which I think was the result of her not realizing it was too spicy for me (since she likes spicy food) vs her being insensitive. Needless to say, I don't eat PB&J very much as an adult (maybe 1 or 2X per year) and I use the 'put the uneaten dinner in the fridge and that's what you'll eat later' with my son (though I do warm it up for him).