Friday, November 16, 2007

Animal Kingdom

Here's why I love our neighborhood. Let's night I came home from teaching about 9:45 p.m. As I turned on to our block a shadowy thing crossed the street. I couldn't figure it out until I shined my headlights on it. A small, red fox was running through the yards. It was beautiful.

I was excited. We've had raccoons, opossums, and deer in the yard before. This summer, one of our neighbors spotted deer eating our hostas. And, the skunks were so bad this summer that we woke up several nights to close the windows. If you've never smelled a skunk spray, let's just say it is strong enough to wake you from a deep sleep.

The fox, though, was a new addition to our animal kingdom. I had not seen a fox running through the yards until last night. I actually sat in front of my garage for a few minutes before opening the door. I waited until the fox moved down a few yards. I really did not want a fox in our garage.

All this and we're still only 30 minutes from downtown Chicago. It's not for everyone, but we enjoy calling it home.

No comments: