Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Hooker Halloween Costumes

I dread Halloween. Not because I don't like the concept, but costumes can be a nightmare. The girls always want to be the same thing, but not wear the same costume. For example, last year they wanted to be butterflies, but not the same butterfly. I went to five different stores looking for butterfly costumes. Either they didn't have the right size or they didn't have a butterfly costume. This year I got smart. I went into the costume aisle at Target before Labor Day. The girls wanted to be princesses, but not the same princess. Target carries princess costumes year-round. I was thrilled when they decided to be cheerleaders instead. Those costumes came in different colors and only cost $9.99. Rah! Rah! Rah!

I was looking at the Halloween costumes in various sale inserts this weekend. I don't know when the trend started, but little girl costumes (as small as size 6) have names like "Sexy Devil" and "Dirty Angel." Really? For a size 6 girl? Our twins are 4-years-old and wear a size 6. Most size 6 girls, though, are in kindergarten or first grade. Do children that young need a black, pleather costume with a whip? Or a low neckline and belly cut-out? More importantly, who buys their young child a costume like that?

Apparently I'm in the minority because most costume sale inserts had the same looks. I must be the only person who thinks little girls should not be dressed like hookers for Halloween.

3 comments:

Julie K said...

I'm thankful I have a boy when it comes to navigating the age-inappropriate costumes or the princess costumes that can run a pretty penny. At this point, my 4 year old boy isn't THAT particular. I picked up a fireman costume on discount after Halloween last year and he's played with it all year from his costume box. I also recently picked up a Spiderman costume for the costume box at a garage sale for $4. The plan now is that he'll be Spiderman at school and a fireman when we trick-or-treat in the neighborhood (Spiderman has a face mask that obsures vision and fireman is a nice, visible yellow coat). Maybe only one kid, but dual costumes this year.

Anonymous said...

Another reason boys are easier. Mine is going to be a fighter pilot, although I am mad that all the military costumes are BOY costumes. Aren't both of the astronauts in charge of the current shuttle mission female?

When I was a kid I now realize I created a different issue for my mom. I refused to trick or treat as a female until I was about 11. I thought princesses were stupid. One year I went as Shaggy from Scooby Doo. Another year I was Batman. On the upside, my brother would indeed wear my hand me downs.

And yes I am a straight married SAHM.

Anonymous said...

Ironic.... I just noticed the current Google ad in the upper left of your blog page is for Sexy Pirate Costumes by Lover's Lane. At least it's adult costumes (and not kid/sexy costumes).