Tuesday, October 9, 2007

Alma Mater

We're big on public education. We live in a suburb with good schools, so we're covered through high school. College could be a bit dicey, though. My husband and I both attended the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. Recently, I taught the girls one of our school songs, the Alma Mater. Of course, they sometimes call it the "udder mudder," but whatever.

Why did I teach them the song? Well, we're going to want to retire shortly after they start college. It would just be easier on all of us if they'd go to the premiere public university in Illinois. We're proud Illini, so having them follow our path would be logical.

Of course, their father keeps saying they can go to college wherever they want. I'm sure he'll keep thinking that until he realizes the difference between sending them to Illinois and sending them to a private college. I'm sure he'll suddenly remember the words to the Illinois fight song then!

2 comments:

Julie K said...

Even Public out-of-state tuition is staggering (say for another Big 10 school)... keep singing!

Pickel said...

Go Illini! I did not attend...but my brother did and I am Illinois born and bred.