Sunday, September 9, 2007

Weighing Me Down

I have to admit I'm not always the brightest bulb in the pack. The girls have been in the 95 percentile for height and at least the 80 percentile for weight since they were born. For years I always had a baby/toddler in my arms. Now, though, the girls are 42 inches tall and weigh at least 40 pounds each. You'd think I'd know better than to keep picking them up and/or carrying them. Sadly, I don't.

Recently we were downtown for an afternoon. We were still about six blocks from the van when the girls started complaining about how they were tired. We both picked up a girl and carried her to the van. While it did stop the whining, I spent the rest of the night barely able to move my shoulders. Last night one of the girls fell down and started crying. I scooped her up and held her in my arms for a while.

It's not that I didn't know that one day the girls would be too big for me to carry. It's just that I thought they'd be more than four years old when it happened. Luckily, 20 minutes of yoga can still undo my inability to stop carrying/picking up our girls.

1 comment:

Julie K said...

I've switched to giving piggy-back rides... although my little man is already 4, he's tended around the 40th-50th % range for height and weight (nice average kid). He's all of 36 pounds now and just hit 40" tall. Still... we went to the Little Red School House on Sunday for a nature walk on such a lovely day. I ended up giving a piggy back ride for over a mile! Last time we do a nature walk in the afternoon when he 'tends to tiredness' even if he doesn't nap. I think he'd be fine in the morning when he's bounding with energy.