Friday, September 14, 2007

Pick-up Panic

I know what time the girls are supposed to be picked-up from preschool. So, about 10 minutes earlier, I left the discount, but totally lacking in service, card outlet store without any cards. Even at 49 cents each, it should not take more than 15 minutes to check out of a card store -- especially since I was only the third person in line! Anyway...I left the store and headed to the girls' school. It's about 15 minutes from the card store, so I knew I wouldn't be the first in line. If you pick-up kids from school, you know that five minutes late is no big deal. You sit that long in the pick-up line anyway. My plan was to swoop in, fling open the doors, pick-up the princesses, and go.

About five minutes from the school, I was stuck behind several trucks screwing up traffic. I'm not sure why, but we're stopped. Now I'm was panicky. I don't mind being the last Mom to pick-up my kids, but I do want to pick up them. A few minutes later, I called the school to say I was coming. I pictured the girls sitting on the front porch waiting for me with their teacher. I imagined that they were sad and wondered if I was going to come get them.

Ten minutes later I arrived at the school. I raced into the building. The teacher brought them back inside since I was now interrupting her lunch. Yikes! Nearly out of breath, the girls did not even look at me when I came into the classroom. They were playing like nothing was going on. I told them I was sorry I was late. They said that's okay; we knew you were coming. I smiled. I might have been panicked, but they didn't even notice. All was well again.

No comments: