Tuesday, August 14, 2007

People Say the Strangest Things

Since we've had the girls, I am often stunned by the crazy things people say. I know this happens to other people, but there's something about twins that really brings it out in people.

In no particular order, here are some of the things I've been asked and what I'd like to say:

How can you tell them apart?
One's blond and one's brunette.


Are they identical?
Sorry, I cannot review high school biology with you right now.

I could never have twins. How do you do it?
Well, we really couldn't ask for one to come at a more convenient time. Twins don't work that way.

Why don't you dress them alike?
They are twins, not clones.

We only have one space left in the program. Can you leave one child at home?No, they are TWINS.

If you have kids (one or more), what is the craziest thing anyone has said to you?

4 comments:

Becky said...

People always ask which agency I used to adopt my son. He looks just like my husband, but nothing like me. When just the two of us are out, everyone assumes he's adopted. It's quite annoying.

Julie said...

My oldest brother and sister are twins and they couldn't begin to keep track of the number of people who have asked if they are identical twins. By their teen years, my sister's response usually involved looking down her shirt, looking up and saying "no, we're not identical. My brother is flat chested."... DUH!

mokename said...

I was at the doc for one of my last appts, very pregnant, with child 2. The hubby is there with our two yr old. The nurse comes to get me and says "Oh my gosh, where did he get that beautiful red hair?" Hubby says, "His mother", she looks at me and back at him and says "NO, his is much prettier!!" I wanted to crawl in a hole! I couldn't have possibly felt more pregnant,and ugly than that very moment. I wanted to cry! Now I laugh at the stupid & ignorant things people say!

Anonymous said...

I have 6 year old twin boys seemingly the parallel set of yours (blonde/blue & green/brown with many compliments/questions from complete stangers on their looks consistently) and a FEW people have had the nerve to ask me in front of my kids..."Is one smarter??" ARE THEY KIDDING ME?? the true answer is NO, they are BOTH VERY SMART... BUT even if the answer was different would a Mom ever point out that one had a higher IQ or could do abstract reasoning better?? Geeshhh One day I should answer/ NO, NEITHER OF THEM ARE DUMB hahahaha that way maybe the person will understand how inappropriate that question is//