Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Christmas on My Mind

Chicago has a 102 degree heat index, caused by a 90 degree temperature combined with about 90 percent humidity. What am I thinking about? Why, Christmas, of course. Several of our local park districts run Polar Express trains during December. As I learned the hard way last year, you need to make reservations now. By Labor Day, all the park district trains are full. Last year we were lucky enough to discover that the Lisle Convention Bureau runs a Polar Express train. We didn't have to buy those tickets until November. We did end up riding the Polar Express to the North Pole (aka Chicago's Union Station), where Santa joined us for the return trip. The girls were thrilled to be on the train, even though they couldn't convince the elves that they really are twins. It was great fun, but this year several of us wanted to go together. Luckily, we reserved seats through the Tinley Park Park District. It was a bit dicey, but we did all get on the same train. So, on December 2, I'll be riding the Polar Express to the North Pole with two, happy girls in their Christmas dresses. Not to put any pressure on you, but what are your plans for December holiday activities?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the reminder! I need to get organized. We're not in your area, but we had the same problem last year for our Halloween activities.

ntropy said...

Holy Cats! I can't figure out what I'm cooking for dinner tonight. I'm on board with your earlier Commentor, I much prefer Halloween. Fa la la la ($%@#*&) la! There is much less pressure from the extended family to jump through all of the crazy hoops associated with family traditions which I am not allowed to alter, or even think to comment on. The whole month between Thanksgiving and Christmas has become a chore which I really have come to resent. Nobody holds Halloween or 4th of July hostage to mind numbing hours spent in cars shuttling all sorts of people and goods to places you don't remember you want to see, or acts worse than your 3 year old when you tell them you are sorry but you had other plans with your kids.

Halloween and 4th of July are my secret way of starting my own family traditions. Shhh. Don't tell P. She will be relegated to the freedom of Groundhog Day and Flag Day when she has kids.